Part of the fun of homemade cooking and baking is playing with the tastes and textures of food. Once you have the basics down, nearly anything is up for a taste overhaul.
I love making herbal vinegars for that reason. They are so easy to make and are great for adding an extra boost of flavor. Are you ready to make your own herbal vinegar?
What vinegars should you try?
- Apple cider vinegar will give you that tangy sensation it’s famous for. It is also great for hair rinses.
- White vinegar will make the flavor of the herbs really shine through.
- Champagne vinegar will give you a delicate vinegar that is great addition to fermented vegetables or salad dressings.
What herbs should you use?
The sky is the limit here, and really, your imagination is the best determination. Try infusing some of these herbs:
Herbal vinegars have a basic recipe- 2 cups vinegar to 1 cup of fresh herbs.
You want to make sure the herbs are as fresh as possible for the best result. Simply bruise the herbs a bit to release their oils, and place them in the jar. Cover with the vinegar, and seal the cap tightly. Gently shake every day for about a week. Then, your herbal vinegar is ready to use. Store in a cool, dark place.
To make herbal vinegars, you can use any jar you have on hand, as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight. Direct light can cause the herbal vinegars to break down, and lose their flavor faster.
To use your herbal vinegars in foods, try these ideas:
- as a marinade
- in a salad dressing
- in homemade sauces (such as BBQ, or fermented ketchup)
- in a fermented vegetable
To use your herbal vinegars for health and beauty purposes, try these ideas:
- mix 2 Tablespoons herbal vinegar and 1 Tablespoon honey with 8 ounces warm water as a healthy drink in the mornings and after workouts.
- Add 1 cup of herbal vinegar to 1 cup of water in a spray bottle and use in the shower as a hair rinse
- Splash 2 Tablespoons of herbal vinegar on your face for a refreshing toner.
What ways would you use herbal vinegar? Would you like to try these beautiful glass bottles? Be sure to pin this for later.