Growing up, we ate a lot of macaroni and cheese out of the blue box.
It was quick and easy to make, and best of all, cheap. It was even more spectacular when there was hot dogs mixed into the noodle concoction as well! Talk about a childhood dream come true! All during my college years, I knew when my mom had gone grocery shopping for me as there was milk, butter and that blue box of happiness all ready for me to make and eat!
Now that I am the mom and trying to feed my family the best food I can, I have forgone the blue box and make macaroni and cheese from scratch.
Of course, the noodles, the flour in the sauce, the bread crumbs all had gluten. My youngest and I are currently gluten free, so the old recipe wasn’t going to work anymore. It needed a bit of tweaking. After many batches of “ummm, no!”
When you visit a link in this article that takes you to a different website where you can purchase something, I may earn a commission. Read my full disclosure for more details.
I finally got something that would work. It’s delicious and so easy to make! You just need brown rice noodles, gluten free flour, seasonings, bread crumbs, cheese and milk and you are on your way to the ultimate comfort food!!!
Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 1 lb brown rice noodles
- 6 qts. boiling water
- 1 T. olive or coconut oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package chicken franks
- 1 slice gluten free bread
- Bring the water with 1 tsp salt and oil to a rolling boil.
- Add the noodles and cook to package directions, but slightly underdone.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the flour and stir constantly to blend.
- Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes, until golden.
- Add the milk and stir constantly with a whisk until mixture begins to thicken.
- Add remaining salt, pepper, and dried mustard to sauce.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese to sauce and stir to completely melt.
- Drain cooked noodles and put back into the pot.
- Add the sauce to the cooked noodles.
- Chop the hot dogs into coins and stir into mixture.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- In a food processor, blend up the gluten free bread slice and sprinkle over the noodle mix.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
This is one of the easiest meals I make for my family, honestly.
It has become our “go to” when nothing else sounds good to eat. My next move is to master making this in a solar oven, or the WonderOven.