Bone broth is a gut healing, protein sparing liquid that is super healthy to drink. But, what if you are a vegetarian or vegan and do not want to use animal bones?
You can make delicious vegetable broth! The Instant Pot is amazing for this as well, as it ready to go in just 2 hours, start to finish. The best part? The ingredients for vegetable broth can be changed up to whatever you have on hand, and it will still be delicious.
Vegetable broth is amazing when you add it to rice, to smoothies, or even just to drink hot. The warm comfort will soothe a sore throat, settle an upset stomach and more.
When you visit a link in this article that takes you to a different website where you can purchase something, I may earn a commission. Read my full disclosure for more details.
If you still need to grab an Instant pot, they are available here.
Here is the basic recipe for vegetable broth in the instant pot:
- 3-4 carrots, washed and unpeeled
- 2-3 celery ribs, cut in 1/2
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, cut in half
- 8 oz. mushroom slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for making Vegetable broth in the Instant Pot:
- Add desired vegetables to the Instant Pot.
- Cover with fresh, cold water to the “max” line.
- Close the lid, and set to auto for 2 hours.
- Allow pressure to naturally release.
- When pressure is released, remove the lid and strain out vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to the broth, stir to combine.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Please note, you CAN make this vegetable broth in the crockpot as well. Simply follow the directions and add vegetables, seasonings, and water to the crockpot. Turn on low for 5-6 hours, then strain. You will still have the delicious broth that can easily be canned, dehydrated or enjoyed within 3 days.
Heather’s homesteading journey started in 2006, with baby steps: first, she got a few raised beds, some chickens, and rabbits. Over the years, she amassed a wealth of homesteading knowledge, knowledge that you can find in the articles of this blog.