Homemade almond extract is simple and easy to do. It only requires 2 ingredients and a few weeks “brew time” to be ready for all your almond flavor recipes!
I was right, it was pretty simple. All you need are almonds and vodka. You want to use the almonds that are peeled, and the raw ones are better, if you can find them. If not, the blanched and sliced ones will work as well.
Let’s make our homemade almond extract:
- 10-15 whole, skinless, raw almonds
- 1 cup of alcohol-again, you know the drill…cheap stuff
- pint-sized jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Place the almonds in the jar, cover with the alcohol.
- Shake daily for 3 weeks, then strain the nuts out. This won’t be as strong as commercial extract, but I like the flavor myself.
- Cap tightly, date and store!
Since almond extract that is commercially made contains bitter almonds, and they contain a cyanide precursor, some argue that you shouldn’t make homemade almond extract. I am personally not worried about this, as the same nuts also contain cancer-fighting compounds.
You can use this for baking, or even in making homemade coffee drinks. I like to use it in oatmeal, as a new and different flavor. I make about a pint jar, and it lasts me about 6 months before I need to make more.
Have you ever made almond extract? What do you like to do with it? Be sure to pin this for later, too!