If you harvested too much eggplant this year, this moussaka recipe is probably the best way to turn it into a healthy, delicious meal.
Have you tried this recipe? Did you try any variations to it? Let us know in the comments below.
2 large or 3 medium eggplants
1lb lamb (or hamburger)
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 14oz can tomatoes, with juice
1 T tomato paste
rounded 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup hot water
salt and pepper to taste
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt, drained
pinch of paprika
salt and pepper
- slice the eggplant lenghtwise in 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Salt generously, and lay out on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown meat until meat is all cooked and has rendered it's fat.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon the meat out of a pan and into a bowl to reserve. Add the olive oil, and sweat the onions and garlice.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, and add the meat back in.
- Cover with the 1/2 cup of hot water, more or less if needed until just covered and simmer on low until thick and fragrant, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then stir in:
- /2 cup chopped parsley
- large egg, well beaten
- Set aside while you cook the eggplant.
- Preheat the broiler
- Brush 2 baking sheets with olive oil.
- Rinse the eggplant slices and pat dry.
- Place on the baking sheets and brush with olive oil. Broil for approx 3-5 minutes, until softened and slightly brown.
- You can also bake in a 350° oven until soft and slightly browned.
- Leave oven to 350°.
- Grease a 3 qt baking dish, and place an even layer of eggplant, and spread meat mixture over the eggplant.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together:
- large eggs
- /4 cups plain Greek yogurt, drained
- pinch of paprika
- salt and pepper
- cover the casserole with mixture, and top with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and return to the oven to bake for 30 more minutes, until golden.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 0Cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g