Aaah, who would’ve thought I would enjoy salmon?
As a kid, I detested fish. Unless they were breaded, in stick form with lots of tarter sauce over them. You know, to cover up the fishy taste. As an adult, I knew that “hating” certain types of food is not setting a good example for my kids.
We haven’t had the aforementioned fish sticks in this house for about 8 years but I wanted my kids to try different types of fish. We have a friend that goes ice fishing each winter and we trade chicken for walleye and blue gill. Amazingly, my kids LOVED it! We have had fish for breakfast many times. So, off to try salmon…but…
As a child, my husband never liked salmon patties.
His memory of them are canned salmon, mixed with soy paste and fried with a tomato slice served with it. To his recollection, there was no salt, pepper, or any other seasoning added. Of course, you can imagine that he would never want to eat them again. I was determined to change that. Our taste buds do change over time as we get older and trying new things is always a good idea. Plus, salmon has that omega 3 thing going for it, right?
Enter the salmon patty at our house.
This recipe came from watching a lot of “Restaurant Impossible” and “Kitchen Nightmares”. They always seem to make crab cakes at the finest restaurants. We don’t eat crab, as we are Kosher, but I figured salmon couldn’t be much different to work with, right? After playing around with seasonings and such, I came up with a winner in our house. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 2 cans Alaska Salmon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast
- (if corn free, you could do 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and skip the cornmeal-tastes great both ways)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- oil for sauteing
- veggies of choice
- Open the canned salmon and drain the liquid.
- In a large bowl, lightly break apart salmon into smaller pieces.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet with 3 tsp oil of choice. (I like tallow or coconut oil for this personally)
- Meanwhile, in a hot skillet, add 2 tsp oil of choice. (again, coconut oil is great for this!)
- Once oil is hot, add your veggies to cook.
- While veggies are cooking, form patties with the salmon mixture and place in hot oil.
- Carefully fry for 3 minutes, and then turn over.
- Fry for an additional 3 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve over bed of sauteed veggies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g