Store bought mayo can be expensive, and full of junk you don’t want or need to feed your family. Making it at home takes only a few minutes and is much healthier, tastier, and YOU control what goes in there.
This healthy homemade mayo is perfect for salads, dressings as well as sandwich spread. It has a light flavor that complements just about anything you can think of.
The ingredient list for this healthy homemade mayo is simple:
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard.
Directions how to put healthy homemade mayo together:
- First, you want the eggs to be room temperature. Take them out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before you use them, or if you have chickens, get the ones fresh from the coop.
- Separate 3 of the egg yolks. I crack them open and “catch” the yolk in one hand, and allow the whites to drip into a bowl. We will only use the yolks of these 3 for the mayo. The 4th egg you use both the white and the yolk.
- Add the salt and mustard and “whir” in a food processor or blender for about 30 seconds.
- As it’s “whirring”, you will slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Whir for another minute or so, and you’re done!
Is homemade mayo paleo friendly? Yes, if you eat eggs. This also isn’t necessarily a low calorie mayonnaise recipe, but moderation will keep you from overdoing it.
For one of the best recipes for healthy, homemade mayo: CHICKEN SALAD! This is so good, it’s a family favorite and our friends wow over it at picnics and get togethers. It will easily double or triple, depending on your needs.
All you need for this homemade chicken salad:
- 2 cups of leftover chicken, or 1 qt. home canned chicken, OR 2 cooked and shredded breasts
- 1 cup homemade mayo
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit (I used dried cherries, but raisins, apricots, and craisins are all good
Directions to make the salad:
- Begin by chopping the fruit into as tiny of pieces as you can.
- Add the shredded chicken, salt and pepper, and fruit to the bowl.
- Gently mix.
- Add the homemade mayo and mix well.
- Serve on bread or hamburger buns.
Do you make homemade mayo? What is your favorite way to use it? Be sure to pin this for later!