Shaving happens…on the legs, pits, faces.
It’s a part of life for a lot of us, and it’s not always our favorite. Those memes that have the hairy rabbit legs showing, saying how glad we are it’s winter and we don’t need to shave? Yeah, that’s how I like to roll.
My daughter on the other hand, shaves regularly. Apparently, she doesn’t like to be compared to a Satsquatch when her legs show. Who knew, right?
My 17 year old son also shaves. Not his legs, mind you, but his face. That little baby face with the peach fuzz. I guess his girlfriend “makes” him do it. Or he likes to look professional. For whatever reason, he shaves at least once daily.
Cutting yourself shaving happens. For many of us, including my kids, that happens a lot. It’s painful, too, when it’s in the back of the legs, or the underarms. Places you can’t see very well on yourself. Dull razors can also cause those nicks and scrapes to happen.
When cuts from shaving happens, the last thing you want to deal with is tiny bits of paper stuck all over to stop the bleeding.
Also, having an open cut means that bacteria can get in there. You know, those tender areas like the arm pits, or back of the knees where dirt and sweat can happen more often.
What can you do? You can make these DIY styptic pencil melts. The ingredients in these DIY styptic pencil melts are all natural, and you may have them already in your herbal shelf.
- Yarrow (Achillea millefolium L.) is great for helping to stop bleeding. It also is a great anti-inflammatory, helping to protect skin when it’s been cut.
- Coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties to help ward off infection and is great for infusing herbs.
- Beeswax helps hold it all together, as well as soothing skin.
This is a great DIY project for a rainy day, and one batch can easily last 2-3 months. Unless your 12 year old wants to try his hand at shaving with his sister’s razor. But, that’s another blog post.
To Make your own DIY Styptic Pencil Melts you will need:
- an oven proof dish
- 1 cup craft coconut oil (get it here)
- 1/2 cup dried yarrow flowers (get it here)
- 3 Tablespoons beeswax (get it here)
- First, preheat the oven to 200.
- Add the coconut oil and yarrow flowers to the bowl and place in the oven.
- Allow the coconut oil to infuse for 2 hours.
- Strain the plant matter and toss in the garbage.
- Add the beeswax to the infused oil and place back in the oven to melt.
- Pour carefully into your molds and allow to cool overnight.
Store in the fridge to keep them from melting before use.
To use, simply apply to cleaned skin when cuts happen. Do this by rubbing a pencil melt over the skin gently, allowing the body heat to melt it. Allow to absorb into the skin.
What do you do for minor cuts like from shaving? Will you try these DIY Styptic Pencil Melts? Be sure to pin this for later!