Summer is a wonderful time of year.
Well, according to ME it is. There is a garden to weed, animals to care for, camping trips to plan, day trips to the lake. So much fun happens in the Summer that the only thing that can make it go sour is those pesky little bugs. Mosquitoes, gnats, flies and chiggers to name a few. The commercial “bug off” stuff is great for keeping them away, but at what price? Do we really need to add those chemicals to our skin and clothing?
Here’s how to make an all natural bug spray that will keep those pesky varmits far from you.
What you need:
- 2 ounces distilled water
- 2 ounces vodka or rubbing alcohol
- 36 drops citronella essential oil
- 72 drops lemon eucalyptus
- 48 drops mandarin orange essential oil
- 24 drops lemongrass essential oil
Combine all of these ingredients in a 4 ounce glass spray bottle and shake well.
You will need to shake prior to each use, as the mixture can and will separate. Spray before going outdoors to stay safe and bug bite free. You will want to pay special attention to your ankles and neck area. These essential oils are perfectly safe for anyone, including children. Use the same caution you would with commercial products–keep them out of eyes, and don’t spray on their hands, especially if eating or their fingers are prone to going into their mouth. Also safe for pregnant women.
The orange essential oil will help combat the scent of the citronella and eucalyptus.
Those are both very powerful scents that can give some a headache, but are very effective at keeping bugs at bay.
What do you do if you have already been bitten?
Well, that does, can and will happen, no matter what bug spray you use. Some are just “sweeter” than others to the bugs and will be more prone to insect bites. You can make this great anti-itch salve that will help soothe the bug bites.
Would you like some other ideas for bug off spray? Here’s a list of some of my favorites
- This one from Attainable Sustainable uses neem oil, but would not be safe for pregnant women.
- 104 Homestead has some great ideas for plants to put in your yard for mosquito proofing.
- Imperfectly Happy has some great bug off lotion bars that will soften your skin will keeping bugs away!
- The Petite Plantation has some other cute ideas that will help keep bugs at bay!
- Homestead Wishing has another great spray that uses clove oil in the recipe
- Studio Botanica likes to use Catnip essential oil for her bug off recipe
- The Rustic Elk uses calendula flowers in her bug off recipe!
- Check out this DIY bug repellent candle from Happy Mothering
- The Soft Landing has one that uses pine essential oil and apple cider vinegar!
- Common Sense Homesteading also has some great tips on reducing the mosquitoes in your area!
What are some of your favorite natural ways to repel bugs? Be sure to pin this to your favorite board for later