This recipe is for a chewy granola bar that is versatile, made from common food storage ingredients, is delicious, and is something you’ll want to make often. It is hard to get much better than that.
When it comes to survival recipes you want to find items you can make from your food stores. If it is one that actually tastes good and is something you’ll make regularly, that’s even better.
These granola bars are perfect because they check all three boxes, plus they are highly versatile and are sweet.
Essentially you are making a base granola bar that you can add just about any candy or sweet you have on hand into. Our go-to favorite is M&M’s type of candy and mini chocolate chips, but any will work.
Mix it up by adding mini M&M’s, nuts, dark chocolate chunks, raisins, butterscotch chips, chopped up candy bars or peanut butter cups, etc. You can also adjust the amount to make them as sweet as you like.
Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
- 1 cup oats
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup of mini M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F / 175 C.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, and oats altogether.
- In another bowl (or a kitchen mixer) cream butter, peanut butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until well combined. Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture a little bit at a time, until all is added.
With a spatula add mini chocolate chips and M&Ms and stir until well combined.
- Grease an 8×10 baking dish with cooking spray. Add the mixture and spread out until even.
- Bake until golden brown about 15 to 18 minutes. Time depends on your oven.
Once the bars cool you can cut and wrap in plastic wrap or put into a container / plastic bags. They will store for a week at room temperature without drying out or you can keep in the fridge for longer shelf life.
Steven has made a career in law enforcement, fire and rescue, but also as a professional writer. He writes a lot about preparedness, self-reliance, and what to do in an emergency (among other things).
1 thought on “Delicious Chewy Granola Bars”
I am dibetic. Thanks anyway