Also known as Ochsenschwanzsuppe in Germany, this decadent soup features a variety of vegetables – as well as bacon! What’s not to love?
German Oxtail Soup with Bacon Recipe
- 1 lbs of oxtails
- 2 onions
- 2 leeks
- 2 pieces of celery
- 2 carrots
- 5 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1.5 quarts of water
- 3 cloves
- ½ teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 cup red wine preferably dry
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- Begin by running the oxtails under cool water. This will help remove some of the blood and debris. Then, dry them with a paper towel.
- Peel your onions and other vegetables, cutting them into small chunks. Cut the leeks lengthwise and slice your bacon slices in half.
- Fry your bacon, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add your oxtails to the pan and brown them.
- Add your vegetable to the saucepan, stirring carefully. Let them cook for about five minutes, then add your spices.
- In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let it cook at a simmer for about two hours. Stir regularly and replace evaporated water as needed.
- Serve with parsley as a garnish.
Rebekah is a full-time homesteader. On her 22 acres, she raises chickens, sheep, and bees, not to mention she grows a wide variety of veggies. She has a huge greenhouse and does lots of DIY projects with her husband in her ever-growing homesteading endeavor. Learn more about Rebekah here.