I love eating salads. I could eat taco salad for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
The problem a lot of people have with salads is that we toss some limp greens on a plate, smother it with a creamy, tasteless dressing and call it “salad”. We need to add variety to that!
This taco salad is my mother’s recipe, and we make when we are missing her.It’s a good recipe to take to potluck dinners, as it is commonly popular with both adults and children.
You can get the recipe for homemade French dressing here, and the taco seasoning mix here. I enjoy the flavors of this salad as it contains all the flavors of my childhood. It is easily made a day in advance, and is super enjoyable the next day, if you have any leftovers.
What is your family’s favorite salad? Be sure to pin this for later!
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 6 green onions sliced on a bias
- 1 lb. hamburger or turkey
- homemade taco seasoning
- 1 batch homemade french dressing
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Brown the hambuger with the taco seasoning. Cool almost completely.
- Mix together the lettuce, tomato, and green onion in a large bowl.
- Add the french dressing and toss to coat.
- Add the seasoned meat, and cheese and toss again.
- Crush chips gently and toss in as well.
- Serve on plates, with sour cream to top, if desired.
Heather’s homesteading journey started in 2006, with baby steps: first, she got a few raised beds, some chickens, and rabbits. Over the years, she amassed a wealth of homesteading knowledge, knowledge that you can find in the articles of this blog.