Got tired, achy muscles after a workout, or a day in the garden? Soothe those tired, achy muscles naturally with this herbal arnica muscle pain relief balm.
After a long day outside gardening, you can get tired, achy muscles. Digging, planting, bending over, getting up and down, even lifting and hauling heavy items can play havoc on the arms and legs.
For those who don’t want to take over-the-counter muscle pain relief, this warming herbal balm will be the ticket! Soothing, warming, and will make you feel so good!
Arnica is well known for its pain-relieving properties. You can find it in some OTC medications and muscle rubs. We add a bit of cayenne pepper to the arnica oil for its warming elements to help muscles relax.
- Cayenne pepper, which has capsicum, which is a heating element that helps to relieve pain and relax muscles.
- Arnica, which has analgesic properties that offer natural pain relief.
- Calendula, which offers anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Jojoba oil, that has anti-inflammatory benefits and is moisturizing to the skin.
- 5 grams dried calendula
- 2 grams dried arnica flowers
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 Tablespoons jojoba oil
- 1 Tablespoon beeswax pastilles
- To begin, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the measured dried herbs and cayenne pepper in an ovenproof bowl and cover with the oil.
- Stir gently to mix it all in.
- Set the bowl into the oven and allow to infuse in the heat for 2 hours.
- After two hours, remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit.
- Carefully squeeze the oil from the herbs, using a cheesecloth or cotton cloth to strain. At this point, you can store it in a lotion bottle and use it as a pain relief oil.
When you visit a link in this article that takes you to a different website where you can purchase something, I may earn a commission. Read my full disclosure for more details.
Putting Your Muscle Pain Relief Balm Together
- Stir the beeswax into the drained oil and place it back into the warm oven for 15 minutes, or until the wax is completely melted.
- Stir the oils to combine, and pour into a container with a lid. You can find the ones I use here.
To Use Arnica Muscle Pain Relief Balm
Simply take a small amount on your finger and rub it onto the sore area. This can be used as often as you need.
However, do NOT want to add additional heat, such as a heating pad with this. That can actually overheat the skin with the cayenne pepper. Store the muscle cream in its covered container for up to 4 months in a cool, dry place.
What’s your favorite way to soothe tired, achy muscles?
Heather’s homesteading journey started in 2006, with baby steps: first, she got a few raised beds, some chickens, and rabbits. Over the years, she amassed a wealth of homesteading knowledge, knowledge that you can find in the articles of this blog.
Learn more about Heather and the rest of the writers on this page.