While geese eat a varied diet, most of what they eat is plant-based. In the wild, and in many domestic settings, this usually consists of leafy greenery, grasses and other things like that.
But geese can also eat certain fruits, and they tend to get a lot more in captivity than they would in the wild. However, not all fruits are good for them, or good if they get too much…
How about raisins? Can geese eat them, and are they safe?
Yes, raisins are safe for geese to eat but only in very limited quantities because they are so sugary. Even so, raisins do contain vitamins and minerals that can benefit geese, and they are a good source of energy.
Raisins are kind of an interesting option when it comes to feeding your flock…
Most raisins are natural and wholesome, being little more than dried grapes, but the thing is that they’re just concentrated sugar and it’s very easy for your birds to eat way too many of them if you aren’t careful with the portions.
This can cause illness and significant digestive problems. You can give raisins to your geese, but you’ve got to be cautious. I’ll tell you more below…
Do Geese Like Raisins?
Yes, geese tend to like raisins. They are sweet, very easy for them to eat and typically easy for them to digest. As mentioned, they’re a wonderful source of energy and will definitely put a little bit of pep in their step. Or rather in their waddle.
Are Raisins Healthy for Geese?
Assuming that geese are only given the right amount of raisins in their diet, then yes, they are healthy for them. But I warn you it is very easy to go overboard with feeding raisins.
If we stop to look at the nutritional profile of raisins we see that they are a great source of energy, being basically little more than concentrated carbohydrates, but they can improve the overall health of geese thanks very surprisingly good complement of vitamins and minerals. Raisins are also good for boosting electrolytes, and in conjunction with the energy yield this makes them a good choice for helping geese combat heat stress, injury and more.
But let’s look at the vitamin content. Raisins are chock-full of the B-complex vitamins, including a great amount of B2, B3, and B6 with somewhat lesser amounts of B1, B5 and folate.
Raisins also have a little bit of vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and choline though in significantly reduced amounts compared to the B-vitamins above.
Raisins are also a wonderful source of needed minerals, among them calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium backed up by some selenium and zinc. These are not nutrients to brush off!
Together they can enhance almost every facet of a goose’s life, from circulation, tissue growth, bone growth and repair, nervous system health, immune system performance, feathering and even egg-laying.
Very impressive given that most folks just consider raisins a sweet snack or topping!
Are Raw Raisins Safe for Geese to Eat?
Yes, raw raisins are safe for geese. They are small, easy to swallow and easily digested and they contain the best possible amount of nutrition. They’re also, though, very sugary, but that’s a problem we will discuss later.
Are Cooked Raisins Okay?
Yes, cooked raisins are safe for geese to eat and won’t cause them any issues out of hand, but this isn’t the best way to serve them. They will have a significantly reduced nutritional profile for no real benefit to your birds.
Can Geese Have Black Raisins?
Yes, they can. Black raisins are also referred to as currants, but they are raisins by any other name and still just fine for geese.
Can They Eat Golden Raisins?
Yes, golden raisins are still just raisins and are safe for geese as long as you don’t give them too many.
Can Raisins Hurt Geese in Any Way?
Potentially, yes, although they’re only likely to do so if you give them way too many raisins at once or if you feed them raisins too often.
To be clear, it’s highly unlikely that a raisin is going to cause problems directly if a goose eats it: they’re unlikely to block the crop or to cause choking, so no worries there.
The problem with raisins is that, despite having lots of good micronutrients that can benefit your flock, they are incredibly sugary.
Geese and most other birds just don’t need that much sugar in their diet, and excess consumption along with lots of calories can lead to weight gain, obesity and related problems like indigestion, diarrhea and fatty liver syndrome.
Not good, and in the case of the latter ailment, potentially fatal.
And then there’s the fact that, as tasty as they are and, as much as geese like them, raisins are not nutritionally complete and they can’t thrive if they are given too many. Only give your birds raisins as a treat or as a small supplemental component to their usual diet of better foods.
How Often Should Geese Eat Raisins?
Geese should only get raisins in a small serving once a week. If you have a larger breed, or if it’s during a period of intense heat or cold, you might make a case for giving them two small servings to help them cope with stress.
Your geese will love raisins, and they do have good nutrients for them, but they’re just too sugary and have too many calories to be more than an occasional treat or supplement.
What’s the Best Way to Serve Raisins to Geese?
You don’t need to do a thing in order to give raisins to your geese, and you can hand them over as is, or mix them with other foods that they like.
But one thing that you must do is make it a point to carefully measure out the portions they will receive, and serve them in a way so that all the geese get about an equal amount. Never put out a large quantity of raisins and let your geese eat from them freely!
Never Give Geese Raisins if it is Rotting or Moldy
One more thing to keep in mind is that you must never give any spoiled, old or moldy produce to your flock, and this includes raisins.
Raisins, being dehydrated grapes, are especially prone to molding and spoiling once they start absorbing a little more moisture. This is highly likely if they’re stored improperly or if you had them for a long time.
You might balk at eating these raisins yourself and think about giving them to your geese instead. This could be a truly terrible mistake!
There are several varieties of mold capable of producing toxins that are highly deadly to birds, and that includes geese.
These toxins, called mycotoxins, can kill very quickly or sicken a bird so bad that they will never recover. Accordingly, you must never give moldy raisins to your geese!
Are Raisins Safe for Goslings?
Yes, but very cautiously. Goslings should only be allowed just a few raisins periodically as a treat and source of energy.
Too much sugar is horrible for baby geese, and capable of giving them indigestion and diarrhea which can dehydrate them. This is highly likely to have deadly consequences for the little things.
Be sure that your goblins are getting a well-rounded diet from starter feed, and only give them one or two raisins at a time as a sweet treat, no more than once a week.
Tom has built and remodeled homes, generated his own electricity, grown his own food and more, all in quest of remaining as independent of society as possible. Now he shares his experiences and hard-earned lessons with readers around the country.
Find out more about the team here.