Being out in the sun, wind, cold, any time of year is a necessity for homesteaders. After all, that’s where the animals live, right? (unless you’re one of my goats, in which case, you keep coming into the house and kicking the dog off her bed, but that’s another story) Keeping your lips protected from being chapped or sunburned is important.
Sunburned, chapped lips hurt.
Many of us may grab a commercial chapstick to heal and soothe dry lips. But, there IS another way, found right in your backyard! You can make an all natural chapstick that will soothe and protect. No need for petroleum based products. Soft lips are just a few steps away.
This is a wonderful natural lip balm recipe you need to try! It’s truly the best all natural chapstick that you can use all year round, to keep your lips soft and smooth.
The best part is that it uses those “weeds” in your backyard. You know, that yellow carpet of flowers that appear each Spring, and many try to eradicate? I am talking about dandelions.
Dandelions are spring magic to me. I love to pick the blossoms and use them in an infused oil for soaps or other DIY beauty products. They leave the oil with a pleasant fragrance, and I love how soothing they are to the skin!
This natural chapstick recipe is pretty simple and easy to use. The basic ingredients are infused dandelion oil, beeswax, shea butter and essential oils.
Get your ingredients ready before you begin. I use a glass container in a double boiler set on low and measure these ingredients by measuring, not weight, since they are all oils.
All-Natural Lip Balm (Chapstick) Recipe
- 2 tablespoons infused coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 1 tablespoon Shea butter
- Melt the oils over low heat until all melted together.
- Place two drops of essential oil in each lip balm pot or stick FIRST.
- Next, add the heated oils to the pots. This helps me get several different flavors in one batch. Simply stir the oils all together with a toothpick. I like to use lime, grapefruit or peppermint in my balms for a summery flavor.
- Allow to cool completely, then add a label with the ingredients and date made.
Makes a perfect gift for just about anyone!
Do you use dandelions from your yard? Are you ready to try this wonderful natural chapstick?