Breakfast is an important meal. It can set the tone for the day, whether you have the energy to chase the chickens back into the coop, or not. Giving up weeding the garden because you have zero energy isn’t good, either. It’s important to get fueled up each day.
On the homestead, there isn’t always a lot of time for breakfast, however. Quick easy things like yogurt, baked oatmeal and eggs get old, too. Having a hearty breakfast of pancakes is a great option, but the time they take? Not always on my schedule. Having a premade pancake mix is great for when my kids want to have pancakes, too. It gives them the ability to make breakfast for the family, or even themselves.
We used to buy the boxed stuff at the grocery store to make life easier. However, the premade mixes at the store are full of preservatives and other things you may not want your family to have.
Truly, it’s so easy to learn how to make pancake mix from scratch.
Premade Pancake Mix Ingredients:
- 12 cups of whole wheat pastry flour, or a combination of white/wheat
- 2 Tablespoons of baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 4 Tablespoons sugar (sucanat, organic cane juice, other dry form of sweetener)
- Mix the above ingredients and store in a tightly closed container.
- Store in a ziploc bag, or in a gallon sized glass jar.
To use the pancake mix, add together:
- 2 cups of the premade mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk (I normally use buttermilk)
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter, or coconut oil
- Mix the wet ingredients together, and then mix in gently with the dry until just mixed.You will want your batter to be lumpy.
- Preheat your griddle and pour 1/4 cup per pancake.
- Cook until the cake looks dry on the edges and has bubbles all over the middle, approximately 1 minute.
- Flip, and cook another minute until cooked through.
- Serve with butter, peanut butter, maple syrup and/or fruit!
You will love this mix to take along on camping trips. It’s also perfect for those busy mornings, or when your kids want to help make breakfast. The mix fixes up quick and easy!
Will you make this homemade pancake mix for your next vacation? Be sure to pin this for later!