Whether you call it “Jewish penicillin” or “Home cooked health”, Grandma had it right. Soup is food for not only the body, but the soul.
Bone broths can be protein sparing, which means that meat goes a lot further when eaten in a broth. Think chicken noodle soup, right? This is great on the budget. Bone broths are wonderful for sipping on in the cold winter, too. You can get the benefits of broth in a warming drink.
Chicken bone broth can help the body overcome colds, flu, and other maladies, as well as provide minerals. Bone broths are a good source of sodium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and sulphur and are more available in ready to use forms through broth. The gelatin in the bones is also thought to be a good digestive aid.
Bone broths, like chicken bone broth also contain collagen from the bones. Collagen helps form elastin and other compounds within skin that will help maintain skin’s tone, texture and appearance. It is thought that collagen can reduce the signs of aging, puffiness and even diminish wrinkles. The collagen from the bones may help skin, hair and nails become strong and healthy.
Other benefits of a good bone broth are:
- Treat leaky gut syndrome
- Overcome food intolerances and allergies
- Improve joint health
- Reduce cellulite
- Boost immune system
Having bone broth on hand all the time is a good idea, right? Let’s get some made in under 2 hours!
Here is the basic recipe for chicken broth in the instant pot:
- one chicken carcass, preferrably precooked for better flavor
- 3-4 carrots, washed and unpeeled
- 2-3 celery ribs, cut in 1/2
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, cut in half
- 8 oz. mushroom slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions for making Chicken broth in the Instant Pot:
- Add Chicken carcass, along with desired vegetables to the Instant Pot.
- Cover with fresh, cold water to the “max” line.
- Close the lid, and set to auto for 2 hours.
- Allow pressure to naturally release.
- When pressure is released, remove the lid and strain out bones and vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to the broth, stir to combine.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can get directions on how to can your broth here. OR, you can even dehydrate it for ease of travel, camping or backpacking here.
Be sure to watch the video for more!
Please note, you CAN make this chicken broth in the crockpot as well. Simply follow the directions and add bones, vegetables, seasonings, and water to the crockpot. Turn on low for 5-6 hours, then strain. You will still have the delicious broth that can easily be canned, dehydrated or enjoyed within 3 days.
Have you mastered vegetable broth? Read the post here for more than 60 fresh, exciting recipes to use in your instant pot~
This recipe makes approximately 3 quarts of delicious bone broth in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. How do you keep up with a high demand for a food item in your home?