Delicious over ice cream, drizzled on pancakes or waffles, mixed in milk for a special treat; who can resist chocolate syrup? Of course, when you read the list of ingredients, it’s much easier to say “NO”.
But why say no to chocolate? Make your own chocolate syrup to pour! It’s simple, easy, and only requires five ingredients!
This homemade chocolate syrup will rivals the commercial brands in taste and texture as well.
It’ll take less time to make it at home than it will to go to the store, buying it, and going back home. Really.
Homemade Chocolate Syrup
Chocolate Syrup Ingredients you will need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Making your chocolate syrup:
- Start by mixing up the sugar and cocoa powder, to remove any lumps.
- Add the cold water and stir.
- Heat over medium high heat and boil until thick, stirring constantly to avoid boil-overs.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.
- When cool, store in covered container.
Ways to use homemade chocolate syrup:
- use homemade chocolate syrup for coffee mocha
- Add into shakes or over ice cream
- Drizzle over pancakes or waffles
- Layer over bananas and peanut butter for a quick after school snack.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons per 8 once glass of milk for chocolate milk.