They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.
If that is true, then I have my husband’s heart in a bowl. He loves this vegetable beef ‘n’ barley soup. It’s a “must make” on our menu every single month, regardless of whether it’s -20° out 100° out. It’s easy to make in the mornings, throw in the crockpot and get on with our busy day.
This veggie beef -n- barley soup is so filling, and delicious.
You can also tweak it to suit not only your tastes, but what you have in the fridge available. That’s what soups originally started out as, a way to stretch leftovers into another meal and avoid food waste. That one single carrot, or 1/2 an onion you have go great in here!
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 lb. carrots
- 10 red skin potatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 quart canned whole tomatoes (drained)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp beef tallow
- Begin by setting out the stew meat at room temp for 20 minutes.
- Chop the onions, garlic, celery and set aside.
- Peel and “coin” the carrots and set aside.
- Quarter the potatoes, and set aside.
- Salt and pepper meat generously, and sear on each side in a hot pan.
- Remove meat from pan, and add to crockpot.
- In the same pan, add tallow and melt down.
- Sautee the onions, garlic, carrots and celery for 3 minutes in pan. Add the wine and tomatoes and deglaze the pan.
- Bring mixture to a slow simmer and remove from heat. Add to the beef in the crock pot.
- Add potatoes to the crockpot and cover with the broth.
- Bundle the fresh herbs and add in with the bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- During the last 1/2 hour of cooking, add in 1 cup of barley and continue to cook until barley is cooked through and on the soft, chewy side.
- Remove the bay leaves, and herb bundles and serve.